February is the coldest month
We’ve had a mild, wet winter so far. But the coldest month is still to come. February traditionally brings the coldest temperatures and it’s not much better in March or April.
An investment now in smart heating will bring significant advantages in comfort over the coming months, as well as reducing your heating bills when they are at their highest.
[The chart shows temperatures in the TW12 postcode, right in the middle of Homesmart’s coverage area which spans a 30 mile radius south and west of London].
If you’ve already invested in smart heating from Homesmart, you’ll already be benefitting - skip the next section and go straight to some tips for making the most of it.
If you haven’t yet bought, read on to find out what you’re missing.
Invest now in smart heating
With colder weather predicted, it’s a great time to invest in smart heating. You’ll see big benefits:
- Making sure you are warm in your home – smart heating will learn when to turn on the heating to get the temperature you want when you want it. If you are coming home early, you can turn it on from your app.
- Smart heating saves between 10% and 40% off energy use because of its intelligent features - such as working out when to turn off the heating so it warms to just the right temperature and does not overshoot; and turning the heating off automatically if you are away.
- Keep the rooms you use cosy while not wasting energy heating the rooms you don’t use – by installing Honeywell Evohome multi-zone heating.
- Homesmart’s unique service offer includes energy supplier auto-switching: finding you the best energy tariff, keeping on checking the market, switching you whenever necessary and handling all the paperwork. Saving you money and the hassle of checking and changing suppliers yourself. Unlike most switching services, there’s no commission received from the new supplier, so the advice is unbiased.
- If there’s a cold snap while you are away from home, smart heating will turn on frost protection. More peace of mind for you and one less thing to worry about.
Making use of your smart heating
If you already have Homesmart smart heating installed, carry out a few simple checks to make sure it is set to give you the comfort you want
- Check that your schedules are set up for the temperatures that make you feel cosy during the winter. See that you are only heating at the times you need it – and in the case of Evohome, make sure you have set the schedule for each zone based on when you are using the rooms in it.
- Make sure you have signed up for our auto-switching service, run by our partner, Flipper. Once you have set this up, you can rest assured that you will be kept on the best tariff. You can now also choose to select only from green tariffs or only from the big 8 suppliers – with these options you might not get absolutely the cheapest price, but you will still get a great saving.
- Look at the frost protection temperature (Evohome) or safety temperature (Nest) to check that you are happy with the setting. These are set at 5ºC and 4ºC by default so you can be sure that your pipes won’t freeze if you’re away. Remember that your smart heating will turn on when the temperature drops to this level, even if the heating is otherwise scheduled to be off.
In cold weather it’s great to remember that, because you have smart heating:
- You don’t need to change the time that heating comes on when it is colder outside. Smart heating monitors the outside temperature and will turn on the heating earlier as necessary to get the house warmed up to the right temperature at the time you have set.
- No need to stress about forgetting to set the heating to warm your home up before you come home – just turn it on from your app wherever you are. If you are coming home early, you can easily override the normal schedule.
- You don’t need to worry about cold snaps if you are away from home. Even if you have your heating turned off, it heating will automatically come if the temperature drops to the frost protection / safety temperature you have set.
So your smart heating really is saving you from hassle, as well as keeping you comfortable and bringing your bills down.